Lynchburg Community Market
Since 1783 the Lynchburg Community Market has played a key role in the development and growth of downtown Lynchburg. The first Lynchburg Community Market was located on Water Street (now known as Ninth Street) and was an important economic contributor to the growth of Lynchburg. The 1783 Market was an open-air market, and served as the central social gathering place for the city. As Lynchburg grew, the Market grew also, and was rebuilt in 1814 in the center of Water Street. The Market served as a town square for the community, with city-wide notices and speakers throughout the day and evening.
In 1872, the Market was enlarged and rebuilt on Main Street, between 11th and 12th Streets to better serve the growing population, which had grown rapidly due to the expansion of the railroad through Lynchburg. Completed in the fall of 1873, the new Market had enclosed spaces and an auditorium on site. Today, after many changes in building style and location, the Community Market and Armory stands on the corner of Main and 12th Streets, opening its doors on July 2, 1932. The market continued to play an important role in the community until the 1950’s when community markets across the United States declined due to the growth of supermarkets and suburban development. In 1987, the Market went through its final architectural renovation to date, with landscaping, new parking outside Farmer’s stalls.